Sunday, February 3, 2008

THE VANISHING SNOW SHOVEL

6.5 inches of snow arrived Friday Morning, as usual being an early riser 0400. I went out to the garage and looked at my assorted snow removal equipment. Over the years you assemble quite a large collection of snow removal equipment. The new stuff is now some sort of Plastic, the old is still metal with wooden handles.

I remember many years ago the Sweetnam's Hardware store on South Adams in Peoria had a shovel on wheels called the SnowWhizzer. In college I even saw it advertised in the Wall Street Journal. I do not know if they are still available. But they would no match to the 6.5 inches of snow.

Lets get back to the vanishing snow snow shovel, I have been using the new Farm and Fleet Bright Blue Plastic Snow pusher. As I have notoce over these last few snows, as the snow melts the yard is covered by little blue plastic curly shards. The friction with the snow and concrete is slowly eating up the shovel. The shovel is now a third of its original height. Sounds like next year we will have to make a new trip to the farm store.

There is also that new shovel with the ERGONOMIC handle, Looks like it got bent when somebody got mad and threw it up against a fence post. It looks funny and handles funny from us "Old Shovel Users". This seems to be quite a popular design.

Looking around town after this last snow, I think snow shoveling is a lost art. If you are over 40 you probably shoveled the drive. If not you probably put you SUV in 4 wheel drive and just went for the street. If you did not have a 4 whheler you went for the street anyway.

The older I get the more I watch the Weather Channel. It says freezing rain tonight and all rain tomorrow. Why did I shovel? It all going away anyway!

0 comments: